Wednesday, 8 July 2015

About rainbow profiles and #celebratepride

I've been meaning to write about this for awhile, and here we are.

So as part of Facebook's #celebratepride movement following the legalisation of same sex marriage, I used the rainbow profile tool to show a little solidarity. I was happily surprised with the amount of people who did likewise. It was pretty exciting!

Marge, just about everything is a sin.
Y'ever sat down and read this thing? Technically we're not supposed to go to the bathroom.
About the solidarity thing. Someone once told me that my religious beliefs meant that I can't have show solidarity. I call bullshit. I always do on this type of thing. You can have conflicting opinions and emotions, and it's okay to be ready to acknowledge that.

Faith, and gender, and sexuality are are fluid things. And I accept that not everyone agrees with me about this, but whatever.

People get nasty though, and this is where the problem may lie. The problem seems to be be that the people on one end of the scale fight with those on the other. The rest of us are seen as fence sitters, or sheep, or whatever. But. actually, here's what I think about it. Choosing not to participate in a debate doesn't make you a fence sitter. Often you can't change someone's core belief system through a comment on social media. It takes a lot more than that, many interactions, soul searching, research, friendships, a willingness to change.

So. My profile will stay rainbow for just a little longer.
Why?
A few reasons.
#samelove
-solidarity
-for my friends who idenify as LGBT
-because I think two people who love each other can and should get married. Or, at least have the opportunity to choose to, should they wish.