Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Two years of Guiding... it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.

I have been a Girl Guide (as an adult) for two years now! It has gone by incredibly quickly.  I was a Guide when I was younger, for about two years, but I have always maintained a keen interest in Guiding, especially eating biscuits.

I have been working with Guides now for about the same time as I have been married. Admittedly, I am a bit of a Guide Geek and do as much as is on offer... I don't do things by halves too often. I am so blessed to have a husband who is quite okay with this and helps me out when he can, even if he won't help me get rid of mice.

Here is a bit of a list of some things the Movement has brought into my life.

- constant challenges - from bike hikes, to kayaking lessons, submerging myself on purpose into the Port River to lighting fires with ten pairs of eager eyes watching, to relearning how to tie reef knots (several times!)... I have been beyond challenged.


-working towards a qualification for Leadership which doesn't mean too much in the outside world, but to me, will be totally invaluable

-retreats, sleepovers, sharing with snorers and people having to put up with my terrible stinky feet

-milos and marshmellows

-cooking with whatever basics the girls find in the cooking cupboard and making it taste somewhat edible

-travelling alone to India to visit one of our World Centres: Sangam in Pune. Meeting amazing women from all around the world who taught me so much about Guiding and life in such a short amount of time.

-being dreadfully scared together in all sorts of situations, and singing under all difficulties

-emptying a bin with a couple of friendly mice living in it (and someone not letting Stephen help!)

-selling incredible amounts of Girl Guide biscuits and delivering them across the State and even posting a whole heap to Queensland

-travelling to Cook Islands to run some training events with the amazing GOLD Team

-having a home wherever there is a Guide Hall, a Brownie Ring, a World Flag or just a giggle of girls

-shelling out tough love and plenty of hugs

-loving other Guides unconditionally (and sometimes so much your heart can bust!)

-being brave in uniform, even if that means walking around in the dark looking for a Guide Hall by yourself

-collecting and earning badges for the all important Camp Blanket

-re-embracing Guiding traditions

 -creating and planning Guiding dreams - I hope to visit all of the World Centres, attend an International Jamboree in another country and serve at a National level. BIG goals, but not unachievable

-the sisterhood of Guiding!
 

It's been a great two years, and as I often say, Guides is one of the best things I have ever done, with notable exceptions such as getting married, moving to Adelaide or actually graduating. It's given me the opportunity to know and network with some of the most amazing people who inspire me, as well as the ability to travel and see more of the world. Now I am in Adelaide, my Guiding journey is changing a lot, but after having a wonderful day at Let's Shine on Sunday, I feel grounded and connected again.

All is well,
Safely rest,
God is nigh.