Saturday, 31 January 2015

The internet knows everything I think and feel... Not.

I guess I'm a bit over the internet.

That's silly. It's so useful and helpful at the best of times, except when it tells me how I am thinking or decides it knows my motives better than I do.

I'm tired of BuzzFeedesque headlines grabbing my attention, bossy Christian blog writers telling me his wife isn't who he married and someone else finally letting men know why women leave them (three little words: no quality time). Last year these things didn't bother me so much, but now... I feel like it's totally unreasonable for these people to be telling a side of your story that isn't quite right.

Other lies.
Typing in Pregnancy Help along with your state or major city into the Google search bar has a barrage of Christian organisations who are pro life, hiding as helpful and unbiased people.

Propaganda about our friends of different religions, weird boycotting of brands selling Halal certified food, mislabelled pictures of freedom fighters as terrorists and such.

Religious boycotts and whinges that have everything to do with America and nothing really to do with Australia. Banning prayer in classrooms? Not really relevant here, but religious education in schools is a good topic to be promoting, just the people who are promoting it have no understanding of how it works in their own country.

Boys telling girls not to feel insecure. No no no, bugger off please. Being awkward is the new cool. Geeks and needs are cool, but in name only. No D&D allowed.

Posting crap on Facebook saying that only you hold the intellectual property to your FB page, along with legal mumbo jumbo. Sorry, that doesn't hold up anywhere and contradicts the Terms and Conditions you agreed to on sign up, even if you didn't read them.

All this aside... I do love having the internet. It's invaluable, I need it for work and study, it sometimes makes me happy. I can live with not knowing or having seen all my Facebook friends in real life, and anyone questioning that motive probably doesn't understand about being a global citizen. Over the last year or so I have been invited, accidentally or on purpose to new life, to death, on holidays, major life events and general community life. I love my social media tribes. Love love love. Some times its just to much. Today is one of those days. I need to work through some drafts of unpublished blogs and get on with living my life, both online and... Well.. IRL.