Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Saying no to hate posts clogging up social media.

I'm a pretty tolerant person.

Okay, I put up with a lot of rubbish. My calling isn't generally swaying the opinion of others, especially when their mind is made up. I don't enjoy debating contentious topics if there is not outcome because of it. And yet, I like activating for change and being part of a group who demands social justice.

What I'm struggling to tolerate is fear mongering, hatred and righteousness. This is a blog, and if you're reading this, it probably means you know what I'm talking about.

I'll be honest. I don't know what to do about it.

There is, of course, the delete or block or report option on Facebook. But, unnecessary. We are all entitled to our opinion, whether it is right or wrong. Also, I like these people. That's why we are connected on Facebook. 

I think my current option is to unfollow or hide their posts. I'll see how Fcebook reacts to that.

All the same, I wish I was better at this stuff. But fear mongering is the climate of the day, and I really can't change the minds of that many people through social media.