Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Sunrise, sunset. (homecoming and the fault in our stars.)

Augustus and I stayed up to look out the window for awhile. It was a clear day and although we couldn't see the sun setting, we could see the sky's response.

"God, that is beautiful," I said mostly to myself.

"'The risen sun too bright in her losing eyes,'" he said, a line from An Imperial Affliction.

"It it's not rising," I said.

"It's rising somewhere," he answered.

- The Fault in our Stars - John Green

This makes my heart burst so much.

What it remind me of is flying into Kuala Lumpur on my four hour flight from Mumbai. I'd slept most of the way until the sun had apparently rose. It was pink and orange and pretty. I don't think I'll ever forget that sky. It was the start of a really long and somewhat dopey day of exploring a little bit of the city and getting the world's greatest massage. But what I really wanted to do was go home to my own bed, with my own doona and sleep for about three days. And find somewhere to charge my phone.

There is always something magical about waking up somewhere else, but I still think the very best thing about travel is coming home. I'm not too prone to homesickness or cabin fever, but the moment the plane dips over Adelaide, or the train comes through the tunnel just before Warrnambool Station or those haunting pine trees line the highway, I am home and everything is okay in my world, even when it really isn't.

Okay?
Okay.