Wednesday, 6 August 2014

GOLD 2014: Weekly Update 1

So it's been a week since I found out I was accepted to be part of the GOLD Cook Islands 2014 team, and it's time for a weekly update.

My current GOLD timeline is looking like this:

On 23rd August I have my major fundraiser for my International Trip. I'm selling again at Round She Goes, a vintage and pre-loved designer market in Adelaide. As a thrifter from way back, I have been adding furiously to my stash of goodies to sell. Last year I had an incredible time and sold enough to paid for my transport to and from Mumbai to Pune with some spending money left over. This time I hope to do the same.

The weekend after I fly into Launceston for a training weekend with the Aussie GOLD Team. We are linking up with the NZ girls via the amazing invention called The Internet. I am excited about this for three reasons - a long enough stop over at Melbourne Airport to get my Victorian fix (mostly just chocolate flavoured Big Ms), and my first trip to Tasmania. I can't wait, that's another thing to tick off the bucket list. The thing I am most excited about is meeting the other ladies and getting to know them before we head off. Joan, the International Manager, is booking a home stay for me. I haven't been billeted since I was 15 but I'm looking forward to it.

GOLD itself starts on the 28th of September and runs until the next Sunday. At this stage I'll spend a few days with Stephen's family in Port Elliot before flying out. I'm still waiting to hear what this journey is going too look like - I think we will fly from Sydney at this stage - but still, it's exciting.

As you can tell, I don't have a lot more information than travel details. Just as well I love travel details and rules and planes. I'm sure I'll know a lot more after our training weekend and be able to be a bit more useful in terms of archiving this kind of information.